This is a regular question. We start be an in-depth look at the twitter background and then share an amazing infographic that covers all dimensions for the major social media (twitter, facebook, linkedin, googleplus, pintrest) networks below.
Twitter Backgrounds (In depth)
How many pixels should I make my twitter background? How big do I make my twitter background in inches? What screen resolution do I need to fit my twitter background for?
When you make a background for your twitter page you have to take a few things into consideration to make sure it is the right size and will look good to all internet users.
People have different screen resolutions. Usually the best way to cater for this is to make the background work perfectly for 1024×768 and then also extend it some and fade out the edges so it will work for people with large monitors and higher screen resolutions. 95% of backgrounds on twitter profiles today are cut off on the edges because of the high screen resolution of the monitor. Twitter automatically makes backgrounds left top aligned so this is why you must fade out the right and bottom part of the background.
- Smallest recommended size is 1600 wide x 900 high pixels. For this size fade out the right side and bottom of your background image; otherwise people with high screen resolutions will see a sharp cut edge at the right and bottom sides of your background – this never looks good. Whatever color you fade it to on the bottom and right sides is all the same color and that you put that color code into your Twitter settings in the Design section.
- Ultimate size to accommodate almost everyone (in 2014) is 2500 wide x 1600 high in pixels (a whopping 34 “by 22 “).
To add the faded background color to your Twitter settings:
- Go to your Twitter Account and click Settings on the top right corner.
- Click Design in the top menu.
- Click change design colors.
- Click on the Background box and enter the color hexacode in the right top of that box where you see six numbers.
- All colors have hex code characters that stand for that specific color. For instance pure black is #000000 and pure white is #ffffff. There are hex code characters for every color and every shade of every color. The web safe ones can be found in DADD’s Tips #11.
Twitter, Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest – Blueprint for Complete Social Media Image Size Guide [INFOGRAPHIC]
Social Media Dimensions Quick Reference
If you can’t easily read the full image here is a quick reference for the most common sizes.
- Facebook Cover photo: 851 x 315
- Facebook Profile photo: 180 x 180
- Twitter Header image: 520 x 260
- Twitter Profile image: 81 x 81
- Google+ Cover photo: 2120 x 1192
- Google+ Profile photo: 270 x 270
- LinkedIN Cover photo: 646 x 220
- LinkedIN Profile photo: 100 x 60
- Pinterest Profile Photo: 160 x 165
- Instagram Profile Photo: 110 x 110
- YouTube Cover Art: 2560 x 1440
- YouTube Cover Art Safe Area: 1546 x 423